Monday, July 1, 2013

HISTORY OF A SONG: IT'S MAGIC

On July 2, 2013 it marks what would have been my Grandparent's 65th anniversary. Their love was the love that movies are made of and love songs are written for. They never had much money, but the love they shared between each other was enough that they felt like millionaires. My Grandfather died at the age of 74 on July 6, 2002, and my Grandmother was reunited with him on January 5, 2007. Their wedding song was the beautiful "It's Magic".

The music was written by Jule Styne, the lyrics by Sammy Cahn. The song was introduced by Doris Day in her film debut, Romance on the High Seas, and was published in 1947. Versions which made the Billboard magazine charts in 1948 were recorded by Doris Day, Tony Martin, Dick Haymes, Gordon MacRae, and Sarah Vaughan.

The Doris Day recording was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 38188. The recording spent 21 weeks on the Billboard chart, peaking at position #2.

The Tony Martin recording was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2862. The recording spent 13 weeks on the Billboard chart, peaking at position #11.

The Dick Haymes recording was released by Decca Records as catalog number 23826. The recording spent 18 weeks on the Billboard chart, peaking at position #9.

The Gordon MacRae recording was released by Capitol Records as catalog number 15072. The recording spent 17 weeks on the Billboard chart, peaking at position #9.

The Sarah Vaughan recording was released by Musicraft Records as catalog number 557. The recording spent 2 weeks on the Billboard chart, peaking at position #29.
Other versions include the Dinah Washington version. Dinah Washington recorded the song in 1959 for her album "What a Diff'rence a Day Makes!" Keely Smith recorded it in 1959 for her Capital album, Swingin’ Pretty, arranged and conducted by Nelson. Shirley Bassey recorded the song in 1963 for her EP "In Other Words...". As late as 2010, Australian singer Melinda Schneider recorded the song for her Doris Day tribute album "Melinda Does Doris".

The song is absolutely beautiful, just as the 65 year long marriage of my Grandparents were. What they had was definitely "magic". I miss them still...


You sigh, the song begins;
You speak, and I hear violins --
It's magic.
The stars desert the skies,
And rush to nestle in your eyes --
It's magic.
Without a golden wand
Or mystic charms,
Fantastic things begin
When I am in your arms.
When we walk hand-in-hand,
The world becomes a wonderland --
It's magic.

How else can I explain
Those raindrops when there is no rain?
It's magic.
Why do I tell myself
These things that happen are all really true?
When, in my heart, I know the magic is
My love for you.

It's magic...
It's magic...
Why do I tell myself
These things that happen are all really true?
When, in my heart I know, the magic is
My love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment